tribe/m

DECANS IN ASTROLOGY - PLANETARY RULERS

Metaphysics Thu, September 11, 2008 - 7:00 PM by Metaphy...

www.starlitpath.com/articles/decans.html

www.astralaspects.biz/shopscr681.html

00-10 degrees
10-20 degrees
20-30 degrees

Have you ever wondered why people born under the same zodiac sign are so different in their nature? We know that all people with their sun in Aries are not the same. It takes the whole birth chart to determine the nature of an individual. The ancient astrologers knew this and divided each zodiac sign; modern astrology has taken the divisions further. We divide the signs by their elements, qualities and by the positive (masculine) and negative (feminine) expression. There is another method used to divide the signs and determine rulership, by using the Triplicities. This division is called the decanates.

Is it necessary to know the decanates? Sometimes. Sometimes it completes the story, other times it helps to pinpoint the nature of activity going on in the subject’s life. The decans and rulers are worth investigation and have proven effective in predictive astrology, especially in the progressed horoscope. The ruler of the decan of the rising sign in the progressed chart has a great deal of influence over the whole life, for the time in question, particularly if there are any aspects made by that ruler, or if the planet is strong in the natal chart. The influence of the decan is often similar to the conjunction.

Each zodiac sign governs 30 degrees of the natal chart. Twelve zodiac signs at 30 degrees each constitute the complete natal chart encompassing 360 degrees.

The Decans or Decanates:

Each sign is divided into three divisions of 10 degrees, each sign has 3 decans, one for each division of 10 degrees. Each decan has a ruler which becomes the sub ruler of the sign or the co-ruler of that sign. Once you are familiar with the Triplicities (fire, earth, air, water), it will be easier for you to determine the sub-rulers of each decan.

Each decan of a sign will be in the same triplicity (fire, earth, air, water) as the sign itself. They are arranged in the same order as they appear in the zodiac. The first decan of Aries is Aries, ruled by Mars. The second decan is Leo, ruled by the Sun, the next fire sign in the zodiac. So the second decan of Aries is ruled by the Sun. The third decan of Aries would be the next fire sign after Leo, which is Sagittarius, ruled by Jupiter. Each decan is of the same Triplicity - the fire element. The first decan of Taurus is Taurus, ruled by Venus. The second decan of Taurus is Virgo, ruled by Mercury. The third decan of Taurus is Capricorn, ruled by Saturn. Each decan is of the same Triplicity - the earth element.

Example: Your progressed ascendant 15° Virgo, the decan of 15° Virgo is Saturn. If I were to cast your chart, I would see that Mercury rules your chart and Saturn is co-ruler. Therefore, Mercury has rulership over your chart and the decan shows that there are Saturn influences in your personal circumstances. There may be more attention to duty and details under Saturn’s influence. You may be more ambitious and work hard for recognition or reward. There will be more patience and perseverance now. What you do achieve now will come through your hard work and efforts. Your success and its timing also depends on other influences in your chart and the aspects made to your Ascendant, its ruler Mercury, co-ruler Saturn, and your Midheaven (career).

Aries – Fire
Ruler of first decan.............0° - 10° - Mars
Ruler of second decan......10° - 20° - Sun
Ruler of third decan...........20° - 30° - Jupiter

Taurus – Earth
Ruler of first decan.............0° - 10° - Venus
Ruler of second decan......10° - 20° - Mercury
Ruler of third decan...........20° - 30° - Saturn

Gemini – Air
Ruler of first decan.............0° - 10° - Mercury
Ruler of second decan......10° - 20° - Venus
Ruler of third decan...........20° - 30° - Uranus

Cancer – Water
Ruler of first decan.............0° - 10° - Moon
Ruler of second decan......10° - 20° - Pluto
Ruler of third decan...........20° - 30° - Neptune

Leo – Fire
Ruler of first decan.............0° - 10° - Sun
Ruler of second decan......10° - 20° - Jupiter
Ruler of third decan...........20° - 30° - Mars

Virgo – Earth
Ruler of first decan.............0° - 10° - Mercury
Ruler of second decan......10° - 20° - Saturn
Ruler of third decan...........20° - 30° - Venus

Libra – Air
Ruler of first decan.............0° - 10° - Venus
Ruler of second decan......10° - 20° - Uranus
Ruler of third decan...........20° - 30° - Mercury

Scorpio – Water
Ruler of first decan.............0° - 10° - Pluto
Ruler of second decan......10° - 20° - Neptune
Ruler of third decan...........20° - 30° - Moon

Sagittarius – Fire
Ruler of first decan.............0° - 10° - Jupiter
Ruler of second decan......10° - 20° - Mars
Ruler of third decan...........20° - 30° - Sun

Capricorn – Earth
Ruler of first decan.............0° - 10° - Saturn
Ruler of second decan......10° - 20° - Venus
Ruler of third decan...........20° - 30° - Mercury

Aquarius – Air
Ruler of first decan.............0° - 10° - Uranus
Ruler of second decan......10° - 20° - Mercury
Ruler of third decan...........20° - 30° - Venus

Pisces – Water
Ruler of first decan.............0° - 10° - Neptune
Ruler of second decan......10° - 20° - Moon
Ruler of third decan...........20° - 30° - Pluto

www.horoscopeswithin.com/decans.php

Re: DECANS IN ASTROLOGY - PLANETARY RULERS

Metaphysics Thu, September 11, 2008 - 7:02 PM by Metaphy...

Delivered Out of KMT

The earliest records of decans appeared in Ancient Egypt around 2100 BC. Archeologists have found them portrayed as their fully developed characters in metal and stone artifacts. Normally depicted on the ceilings of culturally important buildings (temples and tombs) they were given names, and distinctive characteristics. Often, they were portrayed as sailing in small boats.

Discovered in their native land by visiting Greeks, they were imported wholesale into the growing bounty of Astrological knowledge collecting there. Kemetians were among the earliest known peoples to look for personal meaning from the stars.

Djehuti [Thoth or Hermes], early Astrological writers, regarded both the Zodiac and the Universe as circular. They described planets and the Universe as physical bodies. The 36 decans were viewed as if placed below the circle of this body (the Universe). The decans were thought to sit between the circle of the Zodiac and the circle of the Universe, bearing up the one, and looking down upon the other.

So, they were pillars of the night, and of the dawn, vaulting the very arc of the heavens, holding it high above the Earth. They were thought to have special powers, being exempt from things that befall the other stars. They were seen as careful guardians and overseers of the Universe, traveling around it in the space of a night and a day; they accompanied souls across the chasm between this world and the next. They were powerful forces for good or ill, depending upon the general climate of all things heavenly, and the mood of these six and thirty gods. They could exert their powers upon the Earth and other planets, which in turn had effects upon humankind.

Metaphysics Thu, September 11, 2008 - 7:08 PM by Metaphy...

Good website for individual signs and their Decans (Scrow to the bottom of the page then go back to main "Constellation Chamber" page)
www.novareinna.com/constell...cans.html

Keys to Your External Self: Rising Signs and Decans (also scrow to the bottom of the page to find yours)
www.elbertwade.com/page98.html

Jessy Thu, September 11, 2008 - 7:43 PM by Jessy

I always wondered why I got either aquarius or capricorn in my readings for a rising sign..
I recently got this reading
Your Ascendant sign is 0.56 degrees on the cusp between Capricorn and Aquarius and is in Direct
motion.

which is is??? or is it both?? Is that possible?? I feel like both .
Im little confused.

Metaphysics Fri, September 12, 2008 - 11:04 PM by Metaphy...

if that's 0.56 Aquarius I think that would be both Aquarius... do you have your chart posted?

Metaphysics Fri, September 12, 2008 - 11:33 PM by Metaphy...

I think this part is important and might bring added insights - so first we find our Decans for
each planet then we can also do this for each house cusp as well - then once we get the Decan and it's ruling planet
we can get even deeper into each degree with our Sabians...

Here's the great author of the Sabians this can be applied
to all degrees of Astrology (IMO)

“I look at the degrees as an unfolding: we have the actual degree that something sits on, the degree before (which I call the Karmic Condition) and the degree after (which one has to integrate and enfold into their being in order to 'move forward' in life)” -Lynda Hill

Lynda Hill (great Astrologer and Author) gives some insights into this (She's also in our tribe)
www.sabiansymbols.com/page.asp

www.lyndahill.com/

When looking up the Symbol for a planet or placement in a chart, one must round up the degree to the next whole number i.e., if the planet is at 27.15 Pisces, you should read Pisces 28. This is because the zodiac starts at 00.00 Aries and the Symbols begin at Aries 1.

So, even if the degree you're looking at is 27.00 Pisces, you would still read Pisces 28. Having said that, it should be emphasized that the Symbol for the degree before (i.e. Pisces 27) will shine a lot of light on the issue being investigated - the degree before indicates the 'karmic' issues of the planet or placement, a talent that's been brought through or an issue that needs to be worked out and possibly let go of.

Think of the interpretations applied to the moon's south node as a guide to the degree before. The degree after (Pisces 29) is also very illuminating.

These Symbols can be used in every aspect of astrology, including horary, mundane, electional and indeed for any of the zodiacal systems such as heliocentric, sidereal or draconic. A great exercise that helps one to see more into these Symbols is to look up the symbol for the Sun at sunrise and watch what happens throughout the day. You can also tune into the degree of the new or full moon for clues to what's going on during that period.

The Symbols can be applied to any point in the zodiac. They will reveal, at times brilliantly and clearly, added layers of meaning to the degree of any of the planets, any asteroids that one might use, the angles - in fact anywhere there's a zodiacal degree. My belief is that wherever one seeks meaning, one will find meaning.

Worth Repeating

"Example: Your progressed ascendant 15° Virgo, the decan of 15° Virgo is Saturn. If I were to cast your chart, I would see that Mercury rules your chart and Saturn is co-ruler. Therefore, Mercury has rulership over your chart and the decan shows that there are Saturn influences in your personal circumstances. There may be more attention to duty and details under Saturn’s influence. You may be more ambitious and work hard for recognition or reward. There will be more patience and perseverance now. What you do achieve now will come through your hard work and efforts. Your success and its timing also depends on other influences in your chart and the aspects made to your Ascendant, its ruler Mercury, co-ruler Saturn, and your Midheaven (career)."

Metaphysics Sat, September 13, 2008 - 12:09 AM by Metaphy...

Let's use my chart as an example...

"I was born n the First Decan of Taurus is also known as the Taurus Decante and the "Week of Manifestation." This Decan is the most typical of its native Sign, meaning that individuals born during this period may well be the most materialistic, hedonistic and sensuous of all Taurus subjects...they are the ones most influenced by the primary ruling planet of Venus."

My Sun is 8.59 degrees Taurus (Venus Decan) and sits on the 7th house Descendant 8.40 Taurus
then I would look for any aspects- the only ones of my Sun are conjunct my Tikune (north node) and opposite my ASC

Sun- Taurus 9 A Christmas tree decorated. (Symbolization)

The Sabian Symbol for 9 Taurus is most apt:

"A FULLY DECORATED CHRISTMAS TREE. In Northern countries we find a contrast between the tree outside—bare and normally covered with snow—and the tree inside the home—covered with decorations and loaded with gifts for the family.

Snow has come outside, but the prepared and closely united group has created abundance, beauty, and happiness within, overcoming the cold barrenness of the outside world. The Christ figure is also included in the background—that is, the vivid faith in a transformed future….

This suggests the ever-present possibility to transfigure the darkness and deprivation of the low point of a life cycle by incarnating within it an antiphonic response celebrating the ever remembered and always expected high moments of life. It evokes our undying FAITH IN CYCLIC RENEWAL."

Metaphysics Sat, September 13, 2008 - 12:22 AM by Metaphy...

Now let's find my Suns ruling planet Venus, which is
18.16 Gemini 8th house

Venus- Gemini 19 A large archaic volume (Background)
so this would be the Venus Decan (Libra)

then the aspects; Trine Mars in Libra, and Square Pluto and Uranus

NOTE: degrees in aspects are very important, it's how the energy works

first i would find out what the differentiating is between aspects, are they "waxing or waning", (applying and separating aspects)
*this means moving towards one another or moving away from one another...* it's like are you in the first semester or the second...
(just learning or lessons learned)

in order to have an aspect you have to have two...say like my Venus (18 degrees Gemini) Trine (90*) my mars (19 degrees Libra)
so my Venus/Mars, even though it’s very close, are separating

So my Suns ruler is Venus in the 8th house of Gemini in the Libra Decan

"The Second Decan of Gemini is also known as the Libra Decante and the "Week of New Language." The influence of Venus, one of the secondary planets governing this Decan, can induce many rather interesting differences but chiefly makes for an individual more concerned with the "me too" than the "I am." Relationships with others is extrememly important and may well either "make or break" the lives of those who fall under the jurisdiction of this Decan. Thus, these natives need to be particularly careful in the selection of companions and associates...and the choice of a life partners is, of course, of the utmost importance. Here, rushing into any given situation should be avoided while the subject is too young to fully realize what he or she is doing. Courtesy of Venus, individuals ruled by this Decan are usually charming and possess a love of beauty. They may be artistic or musically gifted and, if so, such talents will need to be expressed. Something of a "closet romantic," these natives yearn for lasting love and have a good chance of finding it, assuming that the inherent fears associated with this Decan can be put aside. The combined influences of Venus and Mercury (the primary governing planet of this Decan) result in special abilities"

I thought this part was funny (same website)

"The constellation associated with this Decan is Canis Major (The Great Dog). One of the most striking of all constallations in the heavens, Canis Major is marked by the brilliant Sirius (commonly called the Dog Star), which is the brightest star in the entire sky. Sirius is said to be responsible for the Northern Hemisphere's hot and muggy "dog days" which occur in September. According to certain legend, because Sirius rises at the same time as the Sun during late Summer, its brightness adds to the Sun's energy, thus producing additional warmth."

Jessy Sat, September 13, 2008 - 8:53 AM by Jessy

Im way in over my head.. but Ill try to figure it out...
I can post my chart but I have a few..some show aquarius others capricorn for rising...
I believe my aqua is 0 and cap11..
Ill check and get back to this post ..

Jessy Sat, September 13, 2008 - 3:20 PM by Jessy

this the one that told me its between aquarius and cap

ASCENDANT: 00AQU56 Direct Declination: 00 0'
SUN: 10GEM01 Direct Declination: 00 0' House: 4 Not On House Cusp
MOON: 11VIR24 Direct Declination: -20 6' House: 7 Not On House Cusp
MERCURY: 19TAU21 Direct Declination: -20 19' House: 3 Not On House Cusp
VENUS: 16TAU30 Direct Declination: -10 26' House: 3 Not On House Cusp
MARS: 13AQU07 Direct Declination: -20 49' House: 1 Not On House Cusp
JUPITER: 00SAG28 Retrograde Declination: 00 59' House: 10 Not On House Cusp
SATURN: 27TAU49 Direct Declination: -10 52' House: 4 Not On House Cusp
URANUS: 09LIB32 Retrograde Declination: 00 41' House: 8 Not On House Cusp
NEPTUNE: 01SAG28 Retrograde Declination: 10 43' House: 10 Not On House Cusp
PLUTO: 26VIR59 Retrograde Declination: 160 12' House: 8 Not On House Cusp
NORTH NODE: 17AQU57 Retrograde Declination: 00 0' House: 1 Not On House Cusp
SOUTH NODE: 17LEO57 Retrograde Declination: 00 0' House: 7 Not On House Cusp
MEDIUM COELI: 23SCO44 Direct Declination: 00 0'
IMMUM COELI: 23TAU44 Direct Declination: 00 0'
PART OF FORTUNE: 02TAU19 Direct Declination: 00 0' House: 3 Not On House Cusp
VERTEX: 02VIR05 Direct Declination: 00 0' House: 7 Not On House Cusp
EAST POINT: 18AQU56 Direct Declination: 00 0' House: 1 Not On House Cusp

heres another one..

astro.cafeastrology.com/cgi-bi...o/natal

the others are downloads and I can paste and they are too large to post...

Jessy Sat, September 13, 2008 - 3:21 PM by Jessy

I cant paste I meant.. sorry!

Tue, September 16, 2008 - 9:36 PM by Unsubsc...

on the site godstar first mentions wshen speaking abvout decans
theres a free interactive birth chart ..it's cool..
www.horoscopeswithin.com/birthchart.php

Tue, September 16, 2008 - 10:11 PM by Unsubsc...

You All won't and don't need to check out the interactive
birth chart -You Know how to read your charts! ha ha
i'll just see how many more times tonight i can embarass myself ; )

Jessy Tue, September 16, 2008 - 10:17 PM by Jessy

your fine to me....
I cant read my birth chart very well ..Im learning.. Im running along side the big boys( and gals)
the site is nice for someone like me.... thanks!